Purpose: To assess if it is safe to begin exercise without medical supervision
The Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (PAR-Q) is a validated questionnaire used across the world in settings ranging from leisure centres to clinical laboratories.
Please read the 8 questions below carefully and answer each question honestly
Has the doctor ever said that you have a heart condition and that you should only perform physical activity recommended by a doctor?
- Do you feel pain in your chest when you perform physical activity?
- In the past month, have you had chest pain when you were not performing any physical activity?
- Do you lose your balance because of dizziness or do you ever lose consciousness?
- Is your doctor currently prescribing any medication for your blood pressure or for a heart condition?
- Do you have diabetes, asthma or epilepsy?
- Do you know of any other reason why you should not engage in physical activity without medical supervision?
- Do you have a bone or joint problem that could be made worse by a change in your physical activity?
If the participant answers YES to question 4 the Siconolfi Step Test should NOT be performed and the participant should be classified into the group with ”low cardiovascular fitness”. PharmOutcomes will display a message if YES is selected for question 4.
If the participant answers yes to any of the 1, 2, 3, 7 or 8 questions, the service will need to stop at this point.Do not continue with the assessment or provide any exercise advice. The participant will be instructed to discuss with their GP whether it is medically safe for them to undertake physical exercise, and they will be provided with a Macmillan Cancer Referral Scheme booklet. The participants may be allowed to come back and continue with the service if they provide a pharmacist with a letter from their GP certifying that it is safe for them to exercise.