Try this delicious vegetable crumble recipe to make the most of seasonal vegetables:
Vegetable crumble (turnip, sweet potato, swede, kale and celeriac) (Serves 4-6)
For the filling:
480g of a variety of vegetables (use whatever you have leftover in the fridge. A good combination would be turnip, sweet potato, swede, celeriac, kale)
360g beans (any variety – baked beans would do)
For the crumble:
150g wholemeal flour
50g rolled oats
60g reduced fat spread
For the cheese sauce:
1 clove garlic
2tbsp plain wholemeal flour
150mls low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
60g parmesan or mature cheddar
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
Chop all the vegetables to similar size pieces, spray with rapeseed oil and place on baking trays in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix the flour, oats, parmesan and seeds together in a bowl and rub in the cubes of reduced fat spread until the mix resembles breadcrumbs.
Spray some oil into a pan and add the garlic and onions. Heat until softened then add the milk and stock and bring to the boil.
In a separate cup, mix together the cornflour with a little water until it is combined.
Gradually add the cornflour mixture to the milk stirring continuously until it starts to thicken then add the cheese.
Remove the vegetables from the oven and add to the sauce along with the beans.
Pour the vegetables and sauce into a baking dish and top with the crumble mix.
Cook in the oven for 20-30 minutes until golden brown.
And this one for seasonal fruit:
Rhubarb, pear and bramley apple crumble (Serves 4)
1 bramley apple
1 large pear
1-2 sticks of rhubarb
100mls apple juice
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
100g rolled oats
30g chopped almonds
30g pumpkin seeds
1tbsp maple syrup
1tbsp rapeseed oil
Wash the fruit
Cut into chunks with the skin on
Place the fruit into a heavy-based saucepan
Pour in the apple juice and cinnamon
Cook for 10 minutes over a low-medium heat
Preheat the oven to 160-180 degrees
Place the oats, cinnamon, maple syrup, nuts and rapeseed oil into a food processor and blend (alternatively you can roughly mix them in a bowl)
Put the apple mixture into a bowl and top with the crumble mix and pumpkin seeds
Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden
Serve with yogurt or low-fat custard
Remember that means plenty of fruit and veg, grains, beans, nuts and seeds. Lots of fish and some lean meat and poultry.
Flavours are made bigger and bolder by using herbs and spices.
If you are in a plus group, look for recipes with a higher protein content as this will help you to build muscle and get stronger.
Recipes which have a high fruit or veg content and are lower in starchy food are a great choice, especially if you are in Group 2 or Group 2 PLUS (trying to lose some weight) as they tend to be fairly low in calories.
- Apricot porridge topped with blueberries and linseeds (serves 1)
- Homemade Low-Sugar Muesli – Makes (12 Portions)
- Vegetarian Bircher Muesli Bowl – Vegetarian – (Serves 1)
- Healthy ‘grill-up’ (serves 1)
Light meals and snacks
- Mackerel and horseradish open sandwich with side salad (serves 1)
- Homemade vegetable soup with wholemeal bread (makes enough for 4 and can be frozen)
- Florentine Mushrooms on toast – Vegetarian – (serves 1 as a main meal or 2 as a snack)
- Cheese and mushroom omelette with baked beans and side salad (Serves 1)
- Tofu stir fry Vegan – (Serves 2)
- Lentil Bolognese/Ragu Vegan– (Serves 2)
- Sweet potato and bean curry – Vegan – (Serves 2)
- Healthy chicken and vegetable curry with wholegrain basmati rice (serves 2)
- Healthier chicken and mushroom pie (serves 2)
- Reduced-fat sausage casserole (serves 2)
- Healthy Turkey Lasagne (Serves 2)
- Lamb tagine (Serves 2)
- Quorn Bolognese stuffed peppers with pasta (serves 2) – vegetarian if you omit the Worcester sauce
- Chickpea burgers -Vegetarian – (Serves 2)
- Tofu kedgeree – Vegetarian – (Serves 2)
- Fresh tuna meatballs (serves 2)
- Mediterranean fish stew (serves 2)
- Crab and Prawn Cakes with Salad (Serves 2)
- Healthy fish pie with peas, carrots and broccoli (Serves 2)
- Marinated jerk chicken and pineapple kebabs with avocado salsa and sweet potato chips – (serves 2)
- Caribbean Salmon – serves 2